Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Puerto Chacabucco, Chile December 24, 2008


We had a rough night at sea where we basically bounced around the cabin, I thought it was great to rock me to sleep, Pat was trying desperately not to get seasick, and Kayla of course slept soundly through all of it, but of course we all know she sleeps through earthquakes as well.

We were scheduled to kayak on Lake Los Palos in Puerto Chacabucco and were wondering if we would actually even get to go because it was windy and rainy when we arrived. Luckily by the time we went inland and reached the lake it wasn't raining too much and was pretty calm. We had an interpreter who was down in Chile teaching English but our guide didn't speak much English. As soon as he figured out that Kayla spoke a little Spanish he kept trying to communicate with her - I think she picked up on some of his directions or just made things up and told us what to do - who knows, we all know she likes being in charge.

We kayaked across the lake and then started up one of the rivers. At one point we had to paddle pretty hard to go against the current, but I wouldn't really know because Pat and I were in a double kayak and I was busy taking pictures and trying to rock the boat while he was trying to paddle.
We pulled the kayaks onto the shore and stopped for lunch - the juice was AWESOME! Amazing how you really appreciate good juice when the stuff they were serving on the cruise was horrible.

Note the uncanny resemblance between Kayla and her kayak - the two meat eaters - we'll be talking abou that later.
The setting was just incredible - even in the fog!







2 comments:

princess jen said...

So beautiful! And I love Kayla's kayak!

Super Daysh said...

So beautiful! I'm so jealous!!!